Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dear Tochukwu

I hope this won’t come to you as a surprise. By the time you read this letter, I would be on my way to Lagos. I remember you telling me about your desire to see me through the university but now things aren’t getting better. Despite all odds, I just have to go.
I’ve weighed so many things, time and time again, especially what papa keeps saying, “let’s wait for tomorrow to come”. As you can see, tomorrow has refused to come. So, I’m going to meet tomorrow.
Never mind. I’ll take care of myself. The cow that has no tail, its chi drives flies off its tail. I sincerely am not sure when I’ll be back again. Please Tochukwu, I need you to take care of Mama Nnukwu. I couldn’t tell her about my leaving home. The tears she’d shed would be strong enough to make me change my mind.
A character in a novel I read told his friend he would not say goodbye because ‘goodbye” is for those who may never return from a long journey. Stay well brother mine.
Your sister
Ify

No comments:

Post a Comment